Job Type :
Job Industry :
Job Description :
This position is responsible for supporting and assisting with the SAN storage environment. Primary focus would be to monitor storage and flash systems, but would be required to help with the implementation and support of the iSeries operating system for both MEDHOST and MEDHOST Direct environments. The iSeries/Storage Engineer would also help provide second level troubleshooting and security support pertaining to performance and system configurations.
• Provide Support and administer assistance within the SAN environments
• Evaluate San storage configuration and perform System Health Check
• Monitoring the v7000 storage system and IBM FS Flash system servers.
• Maintaining Storage system spare drive inventory.
• Advanced storage troubleshooting skills.
• Performs upgrades, deployment, and administration of iSeries operating systems and hardware.
• Diagnoses complex issues and implements projects at an advanced technical level regarding iSeries systems, VIOS, VTL, and Brocade operations.
• Oversees and direct participation in the performance of moderate to complex systems administration tasks such as: a) Application of Operating System patches (PTF) and upgrades as required. b) Implementation and configuration of tested subsystems. c) Configuration of networking services.
• Drives deep dive analysis to troubleshoot and resolves performance issues and resource normalization.
• Works to ensure user satisfaction by providing installation, configuration, preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and quickly resolving complex problems.
• Ensures that system improvements are successfully implemented and monitored to increase efficiency.
• Analyzes and evaluates iSeries systems operations and provides technical direction and recommendations to improve utilization. Implements automation procedures and tools to optimize staff and computing resources and their availability.
• Works as technical lead on specific projects, including new hospital customer data migrations. Establishes and communicates common goals and direction for the team members.
• Acts as an advocate for the customer's technical needs while ensuring compliance and adherence to all applicable processes, procedures, and standards.
• Develops systems management capabilities – early warnings, monitors for critical components that are threshold driven.
• Recommends solutions and alternatives to obtain efficiencies within the platform, enhancing systems stability, reliability and availability.
• As required, works weekends and/or off-hours to meet project/workload demands and production on-call duties.
• Assists with identification/implementation of improvement opportunities in daily operations.
• Performs system saves, security request changes, and device configuration related to iSeries operations.
Required Qualifications :
• 2-3 years of working with IBM SAN storage systems. EX: v7000, DS, Flash systems.
• 3 years of iSeries administration/engineering experience.
• A bachelor’s degree in computer science, information science, or related field or equivalent additional experience.
• Must have knowledge in all areas of the System i including: Operating Systems, security, work management, capacity & performance, TCP/IP, BRMS backup and recovery, IBM Flash Copy Manager, CL Programming, LPAR configuration, HMC configuration and resource utilization.
• Thorough understanding of iSeries hardware and the ability to participate in studies related to system migrations, either by virtual or physical server.
• IBM Certification preferred.
• Show initiative and run on-time self-paced projects to meet deadlines.
• Possess excellent analytical, listening, and communication skills.
• Be able to work independently as well as collaboratively. Must display the ability to be a team player and work well with employees at all levels.
• Must efficiently manage projects and daily tasks including break/fix downtime events.
• Must possess strong problem resolution skills.
• Must be willing to learn new tasks, and cross train as needed.
• Has excellent written, proof reading and strong documentation skills. Must be flexible with a can-do attitude and have the ability to remain professional under high-pressure situations.
• Ability to retain and protect confidential material.